Analyse this chart of the 2022 New Year's Honours crafted by Beryl Anderson, ONZM (NCWNZ Hutt Valley Branch). In the 2022 New Year’s honours list, 183 awards were given to 91 women, 91 men, and one intersex. According to the Prime Minister's Honours Advisory Committee: “Our honours system is a way for New Zealand to say thanks and well done to those who have served and those who have achieved. We believe that such recognition is consistent with the egalitarian character of New Zealand society and enlivens and enriches it.” But if you examine Ms. Anderson's table more deeply, there is much to notice.
|Award||Male||Mx||Female||Total||% Male||% Mx||% Female|
|Order of New Zealand (ONZ) + additional honorary||0||0||0||0|
|Dame or Knight Companion (GNZM), (DNZM), (KNZM), hon||3||0||3||6||50%||0%||50%|
|Companion (CNZM) + honorary member||9||0||5||14||64%||0%||36%|
|Officer (ONZM) + honorary member||24||0||16||40||60%||0%||40%|
|Member (MNZM) + honorary member||29||1||34||64||45%||2%||53%|
|Queen's Service Order (QSO)||2||0||2||4||50%||0%||50%|
|Queen's Service Medal (QSM) + honorary member||22||0||31||53||42%||0%||0%|
|New Zealand Antarctic Medal (NZAM)||0||0||0||0|
|Distinguished Service Decoration (DSD)||2||0||0||2||100%||0%||0%|
|Bravery Decoration (NZBD) + Bravery Medal (NZBM)||0||0||0||0|
|ONZ to MNZM||65||58||123||53%||47%|
|QSO & QSM||24||33||57||42%||58%|
Men received more awards in the New Zealand Order of Merit (ONZ to MNZM) at 53%, with women receiving more of the Queen Service awards (QSM and QSO) at 58%. Women only received more awards in two categories: MNZM (53%) and QSM (58%).
Congratulations to all the winners, particularly those with an NCWNZ connection:
- Mrs Helen Christine Lake, of Christchurch, Whānau Āwhina Plunket, CNZM.
- Dr Angela Jean Jury, of Foxton, National Collective of Independent Women’s Refuges (NCIWR), ONZM.
- Ms Sina Moana Wendt, of Auckland, Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA), ONZM.
- Mrs Nonu 'Unga Alatini, of Auckland, Tongan Methodist Women’s Fellowship, QSM.
- Mrs Gina Blaize Chaffey-Aupouri, of Ruatoria, Māori Women’s Welfare League, QSM.
- Mrs Claire Annette Eyes, of Auckland, New Zealand Nurses Organisation, QSM.
- Mrs Jillian Meryl Lord, of Christchurch, Association of Anglican Women, QSM.
- Mrs Gloria Elaine McHutchon, of Tapanui, Rural Women New Zealand and Whānau Āwhina Plunket, QSM.
- Reverend Canon Ihipera Waikare Morrell, of Dunedin, Māori Women’s Welfare League, QSM.
- Mrs Irene Edith Mosley, of Mosgiel, Rural Women New Zealand, QSM.
Information about nominating someone for an honour is available on the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet website. Nomination forms are accepted throughout the year, but the processing and consideration of nominations is likely to take at least six months prior to the announcement of an honours list at Queen's Birthday or New Year.
Use the links below to read more stories from The Circular (April 2022, Issue 634)